Coldwell Banker Hedges Realty has been based in Cedar Rapids since its founding by George T. Hedges in 1887. Initially known as “Hedges Company,” George opened the first office at First Avenue and Second Street SE in downtown Cedar Rapids.
For three-quarters of a century, the company was owned and operated by members of the Hedges family. During this time, Hedges Company developed large sections of Cedar Rapids, including Grand View, Wellington Heights, College Park, Westmoreland Place, Country Club Heights, Westfield, Cottage Grove Woods, and Honey Hill.
In 1982, Hedges Associates was purchased by Carl Esker and Ron and Kay Baty. In 1989, the Coldwell Banker franchise was purchased, adding international exposure for the company.
Today, Coldwell Banker Hedges Realty has four offices in Cedar Rapids and Marion, IA, and is owned and operated by Carl Esker.